In my last post, I picked on Boston because, well its Boston. But stupid laws are not a Massachusetts thing. Let’s look a little closer to home. Here are a few from Pennsylvania:
- It is illegal to catch a fish by any body part other than the mouth. There’s also a law forbidding the use of dynamite (no mention of Nuclear Devices so Three Mile Island is okay!)
- In Pennsylvania declares that anyone driving a vehicle who sees a team of horses coming must pull off the road, cover the car with a blanket that blends in with the countryside, and then let the horses pass. I’ll bet none of you even have a blanket that large so stay out of Lancaster County.
- Motorists on country roads are required by law to stop every mile, send up a signal (I guess this is when you shoot your gun into the air), then wait 10 minutes for livestock to clear before moving another mile up the road.
- It is illegal to sing while in a bathtub.
- An individual may not become Governor if they have participated in a duel.
- More than 16 women cannot legally live together, as it constitutes a brothel.
- It’s illegal to discharge a cannon, revolver, or gun at a wedding.
- In Pittsburgh, it is illegal to bring a mule onto a trolley car.
- In Ridley Park, you may not walk backwards while eating peanuts in front of Barnstormers Auditorium while a performance is taking place.
Just like the Evening News, this stuff is not an April Fool’s Joke.
We’ll go back to the 18th Century now. The 21st is scary!