Thomas Jefferson is noted for reminding us that “a little rebellion now and then is a good thing.” This year, we seem to be taking that advice to heart with SERIOUS and SINCERE protests and marches. We are hitting the big issues. Now we need to storm the Bastille… wait, that’s the next revolution. I think Donald Trump shouldn’t try to sneak out of town, we might have to awaken Madame Guillotine.
Last year, I compared the charges and accusations levied against the British Crown that lead to rebellion with our current self-proclaimed king. Sadly, as unbelievable as it is, the situation is much worse today. As you celebrate the courage or our forefathers when they dared to declare themselves no longer subject to imperial rule; ask yourself, have we really completed our revolution or should we again take up arms against a government lead by a president “whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.”
Consider the charges levied against George III:
- “He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.” <== Impeached! Then subverted the so that he would not face the Senate in any form of trial. Donald Trump ignores the Constitution and his party supports him.
- “He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.” <== Donald Trump: “If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.” So, the Republican Party no longer believes in State’s Rights or individual freedom… Trump really wants us to be like China.
- “He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only”. <== Donald Trump is pushing a new conspiracy theory about voter fraud in all-caps: “RIGGED 2020 ELECTION: MILLIONS OF MAIL-IN BALLOTS WILL BE PRINTED BY FOREIGN COUNTRIES, AND OTHERS. IT WILL BE THE SCANDAL OF OUR TIMES!” Lets be honest the only fraud in mail in ballots is that the Trump supporters cannot intimidate voters to stay away from their mailboxes as easily as they can the ballot box.
- “He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.” <== Donald Trump hasn’t dissolved Congress, he simply declares them unnecessary. He greedily takes the role of both lawmaker (role of Congress) and executive legislating through executive order and nullifying legislation, appointments, oversight any actions by the legislature he dislikes.
- “He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people”. <== Donald Trump and his compatriots have done this explicitly by shutting down the government through his refusal to assent to bipartisan approved budgets. He also frequently attacks career bureaucrats and civil servants that don’t kowtow to his whims.
- “He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.” <== 459 of Trump’s nominees for key positions have not been confirmed by Congress as stipulated in the Constitution, 115 were awaiting confirmation, and 11 had been announced but not yet formally nominated, a total of 552 positions.
- “He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.“ <== Donald Trump and his compatriots have done this explicitly! Moreover, he has abused asylum seekers and their children. Most recently, Trump has literally shut down immigration through executive order by declaring Embassies and consulates will cancel all routine immigrant and non-immigrant visa appointments as of March 20, 2020.
- “He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.” <== Donald Trump ordered his administration to defy Congressional subpoena and lie to Congress (perjury) claiming its not illegal if the President orders it to be not illegal. So much for “rule of law.”
- “He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.” <== When Donald Trump doesn’t like a judge or a prosecutor, when someone dares to investigate him or his family, they are summarily and unlawfully dismissed and replaced with cronies.
- “He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.” <==Jared Kushner, Rudy Giuliani, Steve Bannon, and the whole host of unofficial members of the Whitehouse, or as they are traditionally titled “all the Presidents henchmen.”
- “He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.” <== He literally ORDERED the police to fire upon protesters so he could have a photo opportunity!
- “He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.” <== Donald Trump has rendered federal police answerable only to himself.
- “He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:” <== Donald Trump continues to exploit foreign espionage agencies, trade talks, and treaty agreements to extort support for his own political interests.
- “For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us.” <== 150,000 paramilitary police were summoned because Donald Trump was afraid of unarmed protesters outside the Whitehouse. Trump then demanded US Army (not National Guard but ARMY) troops be sent to Washington to end protests.
- “For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States.” <== Trump has PARDONED police officers convicted by juries. The Republican majority in the Senate simply refused to conduct trails or hear evidence in Trump’s impeachment.
- “For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world.” <== Trump’s Trade war with China is not about trade but rather extortion.
- “For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent: For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury.” <== How many have been arrested and worse for merely saying things that displease the President?
- “For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences” <== While the world I focused on public protests of police brutality, ICE continues to disenfranchise lawful residents and even citizens and targets minorities and aliens on unsubstantial offenses.
- “For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighboring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies.” <== Thankfully, Donald Trump and his compatriots have no ability to undermine adjacent countries as they have at home. They have, however, ACTIVELY worked to subvert the long-standing precedents of US Administrative law and regulations.
- “For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments.” <== Donald Trump has appointed his financial and political benefactors to high office for the SOLE purpose of eliminating lawfully enacted regulations on environmental, educational, health, and trade
- “For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.” <== Donald Trump has sought through executive order to create laws without the constitutionally demanded legislative due process, he has sought to undermine lawfully enacted legislation, and he has sought to undermine our judicial rulings by appealing to the masses when they rule against him.
- “He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.” <== Donald Trump has made unofficial treaties and agreements with our most pugnacious enemies and agents of terror.
- “He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.” <==Okay, this may ultimately turn out to be false but there are reports that the looting and fires associated with the recent protests were actually done by political operatives of the far right. I hope this is false but it fits the narrative.
- “He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy of the Head of a civilized nation.” <== Donald Trump isn’t bringing foreign mercenaries, he is enlisting DOMESTIC MERCENARIES to complete his war of intimidation, cruelty, hate, and in many cases MURDER on his behalf.
- “He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.” <== Donald Trump and his compatriots have conscripted our local police to assist in his persecution of aliens (both legal and otherwise).
- “He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.” <== Not Indians but certainly indigenous SAVAGES have been empowered by Donald Trump to LITERALLY wage war, with guns, upon our people. Donald Trump has repeatedly used his executive office to justify and support hate-crimes.
Add to this, our governments own usurpations and abuses:
- Donald Trump, through appointment of his family to high office, and through his failure to disclose, through his comingling of commercial and government business and, absolute his refusal set aside his business interest during his term of office, has conspired to use the office of President to further his own personal wealth and personal interest at the expense of the long-term best interest of the country.
- The Trump Administration, through it disregard of longstanding agreements, practices, and covenants has sought to destroy the long-term health, prosperity, and security of the United States in order to secure the short-term profits of his backers and benefactors.
- Donald Trump has, as proven by Congressionally supervised investigations by Robert Mueller, conspired with foreign operatives to undermine our most sacred institution of national election and undermined the people’s trust in their government.
- Donald Trump has used to the office of the President to undermine and attack our most sacred and constitutionally enshrined rights of freedom of the press( by attacking the press and making charges of “fake news,” freedom of assembly (by denying access to groups he opposes while protecting access to groups that promote hate), and freedom of religion (by elevating Christianity while denigrating all other religions – especially Islam).
In every stage, we the people of the United States, through our duly elected representatives, through public protests and peaceful marches, and through the Press, have petitioned for redress and have been summarily rebuked and some cases unlawfully injured. Donald Trump is the personification of –”A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.” It is time, therefore, that we embrace our “unalienable rights” and throw off another Tyrant. Today is Independence Day. It’s time we remind people just what that means.
It’s difficult, costly, and dangerous to declare ourselves “Absolved from all Allegiance … and that all political connection … ought to be totally dissolved” but if we fail in this, we are no longer Americans. We are no longer fit to call ourselves “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” It’s time for a new revolution. Its time “we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor” in order to regain our country from the hands of a tyrant!
NEXT YEAR I WANT TO NOT BE COMPELLED TO PUBLISH THIS LIST OF ABUSES AND USURPATIONS. VOTE! PROTEST! STOP THE CHOAS! We must take our country back, by force if necessary. Awaken Madame Guillotine!