When reenacting or acting as a historical interpreter, its good to have a few historical dates and stories to share. This series will publish a few.
September 12, 1777 Liberty Bell Leaves Philadelphia
Following the Battle of Brandywine, all the bells other scrap metal in Philadelphia was hauled away so that the bronze in these bells could be used, if necessary, to forge artillery. Sympathetic farmers from the Lehigh Valley agreed to cart them away for safekeeping. The bells were lowered, inverted and buried under manure and hay aboard horse-drawn Conestoga wagons. An escort of 200 cavalrymen from North Carolina and Virginia under the command of Continental Army Col. Thomas Polk assembled to guard the train of 700 wagons on the arduous trek north.
The wagons departed barely ahead of the British on Sept. 12, 1777. After a six-day nocturnal journey into Upper Bucks County, the wagons stopped in Quakertown for a respite. There, the State House bell, as it was called then, was parked behind the home of Evan Foulke on West Broad Street. Across the street, the proprietor of McCoole’s Tavern cared for Polk’s horses while his cavalry bivouacked. The next day, the wagons resumed their journey to Bethlehem, where most remained. The bells, however, moved farther west to Zion Reformed Church in Allentown. There, the sanctuary’s floorboards were pried up so the bells could be lowered below for the remainder of the Revolution.
Want to Buy Beer from the Colonial Brewmeister?
Want the Regimental Brewmeister at your Site or Event?